Need to know from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and three takeaways:
FDA is advising consumers not to use Similac, Alimentum, or EleCare powdered infant formulas if:
- the first two digits of the code are 22 through 37 (22 – 37); and
- the code on the container includes K8, SH, or Z2; and
- the expiration date is 4-1-2022 (APR 2022) or later
- Shortage due to recall
- Abbott Nutrition voluntary recall after FDA and CDC findings
- Abbott Nutrition Similac PM 60/40 with lot code 27032K80 (can) / 27032K800 (case)
Baby Formula at home or on the road:
- Don’t buy Abbott Nutrition baby formula
- Check the expiration/best if used by dates
- Wash your hands and make sure bottles are clean too
What could you/should you do about this?
- Wash your hands with hand soap
- Clean the tools used to prepare the formula
- Follow the “use-by” dates
- Do not use the product when opening the formula, and the POP is not present.
Baby formula safety reminders:
- Heat liquid to 158°F to 194°F AND do not use a microwave
- Liquid formula
- Infant formula prepared can be stored in the refrigerator, at 40°F or below, for up to 24 hours AND no more than two hours at room temperature.
- Rewarm formula only for immediate use